Hi family. Hi friends.
I've been trying to take more pictures of my surroundings. It's part of my exercise to focus less on myself. I've been pretty self absorbed this couple of weeks. We almost got a baby and then we didn't and then we did again. Same baby. He's 3 weeks old. I spent an afternoon with him, and of couse fell in love. The mom decided to give the baby to her second cousin, which I felt was a good decision and was at peace. Then the cousin gave the baby back to the mom after a week. The cousin's husband never wanted the baby to begin with. Now the mom wants us to take the baby and of couse we want to so bad.
We spoke with a lawyer here and the whole process in Brazil will take about 6 months - 1 year. We were so stoked. Then we decided to talk to some lawyers in the U.S. I have to say it's mighty convenient to have friends who are lawyers and so generous with their time. David Bennion has been a huge help, so has another friend. Anyway, U.S law requires us to either do it through an adoption agency in the U.S which is not going to happen because we would of had to start the process while we were there and also because it costs more money than we'll probably ever have. The second option is to stay in Brazil. If we have custody over the child for 2 years than we can start the immigration process, similar to what we did when we got married and when my mom came to the U.S, so realistically 3 years at least. I understand why these policies are in effect and I think it's a good thing, but it's hard to accept that we won't be able to adopt this child that we want so much. Of couse I should have figured all this stuff out before I got so involved with the baby and the birth mom. I know, I'm dumb. I just thought it would of been easier since I'm Brazilian and never thought it would of been a problem bringing the child back to the U.S. If the child was biologically our own it would be no problem at all, just some paper work but that's it. Sad. Sad. Sad.
So yeah, I've been pretty sad lately.
But on a good note
- We've been getting amazing weather. I feel so blessed that we live so close to the ocean, that we can play on the beach every single day. The kids are having so much fun here.
- In less than a month Enzo will have his Summer break. It's kind of fun to have 2 Summer vacations in one year. It's always fun being in Summer vacation mode.
- One of my best friends from High School, who now lives in Italy, rented a house in Itacare for 15 days. She has a 2 year old daughter as well. She arrives today. Fun!
- In less than a month my mom arrives. I can't wait.
- The kitty is adorable and no longer scared to play with the kids.
- Christian's research is going well. We're amazed at how everyone makes time to talk to everyone else. It's so refreshing, and definitely a good/easy place to do fieldwork.
- I just got hired by the website Inhabitots. This week I start writing for them. I'm really excited.
- We're really excited about our trip around South America. Christian has been planning like crazy. Right now we're thinking about buying a car but if you want to join us we'll get a van instead. We leave in September of 2012 from Itacare and then drive around South America for 3 1/2 months. We'd love to have you along for the ride.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
We sure wish we could be in Martines or Hawaii with everyone else.