Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Celebrating our Matriarch!


People ask almost every day, wherever I am, "How is your Mom?" One friend, Marilyn, brings Mildred to mind in her meditation on having "no worries". Chuck, a friend in the ward who is quite the expert on alternative healing, has asked me to write down everything she normally eats. People want to grow up to be like her. Many remember and follow her example and teaching of "refusing to be offended". I am so glad Mom is living long, and we get time to enjoy and learn from her lead. (About a week ago I could hear over the phone as she won a scrabble competition with a one point lead.) Happy to hear she is bouncing back from a recent bug and is in great hands today as she celebrates her 95 years with 4 daughters, 2 sons-in-law, 5 grandchildren, 2 greats and I am sure a good handful of friends who are family in Hawaii. How we miss our fearless leader at the homestead and have plans for another "partay" when she returns next month! Even Linda across the street points out that Mildred is the matriarch of the neighborhood as well! Mom is a little weary of my enthusiasm at her being the oldest surviving member of our ward, and possibly our stake. Emily Dickinson's words were never more true, "We turn not older with years, but newer every day"!

2 comments:

sienna said...

lovely post, karen. happy birthday day mim! we do have so many reasons to admire you and the love and leadership you continue to provide for our family. hope you had a sunny birthday!

mariah said...

I love grandma. I'm really glad she's in Hawai'i. I googled her once too, and found the same link. It made me smile :). Mimi makes me smile generally, and I'm glad she is here.